7.27.2014

An American Rabbit



I love the amazing series of photos taken by Ruth Orkin in Italy in 1951. The images are funny and elegant. Some are even slightly unsettling.





The idea of traveling abroad on one's own is full of romantic idealism and adventurous spirit for me. When I was sewing up my latest addition to the Lissome Collection I was inspired to channel a little of Orkin's American Girl into my new rabbit doll.



She is made from a beautiful soft cream colored linen. Her face is hand embroidered and her inner ears are sewn from coffee dyed cotton. She wears a black linen dress, embroidered sandals and carries a canvas bag with leather straps. This 'American Rabbit' not a literal translation of Orkin's photographs, more my own interpretation of that romantic traveling spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment